Friday, 21 November 2008

sorry for being quiet

I started my new nursing placement on monday and worked three 12 hour shifts this week. So not had much time to do anything but recover! I love it. Its a childrens neurology ward (brain tumours, shunts to drain excess brain fluid etc), an 8 bed ward, and also has some general medical cases if the other wards are full. Feeling quite nurseyfied now. A way to go yet but I can see that there is some hope I will know what I am doing in the end! (you will be pleased to read!).

B has not had a seizure this week which is when she would have usually as far as I am aware which is very good news. It means that her epilepsy medication is working. I am very thankful for that.

She has a swallow study next week to see how her swallow muscles are coping. Some of you know my concerns on her coughing when she drinks or eats and the risk of her aspirating into her lungs. She has been seen by a swallow specialist at school who says she has witnessed issues with her swallow co-ordination but thinks she isn't aspirating into her lungs which hopefully the swallow study will show. She is coming with me which is even better!

Right now I am preparing for 11 mums, 11 of my southern (and one welsh!) friends to come visit tomorrow. 11 who all have children with special needs and ALL of them need a break. We are going to go christmas shopping and in the evening out for an Italian. Then a few of them will be staying for a pyjama party :). Really looking forward to seeing them and missing those who cannot come.
Let the party begin....

No comments: